Irio, Kenyan style mashed potatoes with green peas and corn. A simple but delicious side dish that’s perfect served beside a stew.
Irio is the perfect side dish to our Vegan Kenyan Stew. A hearty East African stew made with portobello mushrooms and mixed vegetables in a spiced tomato-based sauce.
Kenyan Mashed Potatoes, Peas and Corn (Irio)
- 900 g potatoes
- 100 g frozen green peas
- 100 g sweet corn
- 30 g plant-based butter
- ¼ cup plant-based milk
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Peel and cut the potatoes into small chunks.
- In a large pan add the potatoes then fill the pan with enough water to fully cover the potatoes. Add a good pinch of salt then bring to a boil until the potatoes are fork-tender, around 15 minutes.
- Before draining the potatoes add the green peas and sweet corn to the pan with the potatoes and continue to cook for 3 minutes.
- Drain the water then add the plant-based butter, plant-based milk, salt and pepper to the pan and mash the potatoes with the peas and corn until the potatoes are smooth. Check for seasoning then serve.