Turkish Style Baba Ganoush called Abagannuş, a meze dish made with roasted aubergines and peppers. Delicious with bread.
Turkish Style Baba Ganoush (Abagannuş)
A meze dish made with roasted aubergines and peppers.
- 2 medium aubergines (eggplant)
- 1 large sweet pointer pepper
- 2 medium tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ½ teaspoons freshly cracked black pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon pomegranate molasses
- Sprig of parsley finley chopped (optional)
- Preheat an oven to 200°C / 180°C fan. Wash then dry the aubergines and the pepper. Using a fork pierce some holes in the skin of the aubergines. Place the aubergines on a baking tray and roast in the oven for 60 minutes, turning them every 20 minutes. The pepper should go in when there are 30 minutes left, turning it halfway. Roast the aubergine and pepper until their skins are charred and well roasted.
- Remove the aubergines and pepper from the oven then set aside until to cool enough to handle.
- Meanwhile, in a small pan bring enough water to submerge the tomatoes to a boil. Cut a cross in the top of the tomatoes then carefully place them in the boiling water for 30 seconds. Remove them and place them in a bowl of cold water. When cool enough to handle peel the skin from the tomatoes.
- Once the aubergines and pepper are cool enough to handle carefully peel the skin off. Also cut open the pepper and remove the pith and seeds.
- Using your hand squeeze as much liquid out of the aubergines.
- Place the aubergines, pepper and tomatoes on a large chopping board and chop them into small even pieces. Place the vegetables in a bowl and add the remaining ingredients and mix well to combine.
- Serve in a bowl with an extra drizzle of pomegranate molasses and an optional sprinkle of chopped parsley.