Kisir, a simple Turkish bulgur wheat salad with tomatoes and spring onions. Flavoured with pepper paste, tomato paste and pomegranate molasses.
Kisir is similar to tabbouleh, made with fine bulgur but flavoured with pepper paste, tomato paste and pomegranate molasses. The pomegranate molasses is a key ingredient. It adds a wonderful sweetness to the salad with a slightly sour tone.
Kisir is traditionally served as a meze as part of a larger feast but can be eaten as a side dish alongside vegan köfte or roasted vegetables.
The recipe uses a Turkish red pepper paste. Our recipe for homemade pepper paste can be found here. We believe it’s worth the extra effort to make your own paste.
Red Pepper Paste (Biber salçası)
Roasted sweet red peppers turned into a thick paste ready to use in recipes or as a condiment.Check out this recipe
Turkish Bulgur Salad (Kisir)
Turkish bulgur wheat salad with tomatoes and spring onions. Flavoured with pepper and tomato paste.
- 140 g fine bulgur
- 160 ml boiling water
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon red pepper paste
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Urfa biber
- 1 tablespoon pomegranate molasses
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 spring onions finely sliced
- 3 medium tomatoes diced
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
- ½ teaspoon cracked black pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- In a bowl add the 140g fine bulgur and pour over the 160ml boiling water. Make sure the water covers the bulgur. If not top up with slightly more water. Cover the bowl and set it aside to let the bulgur soak up all the water.
- Meanwhile in a small bowl combine the tomato paste, red pepper paste, Urfa biber, pomegranate molasses and extra virgin olive oil.
- Prepare the spring onions, tomatoes and parsley.
- Once the bulgur has absorbed all the water, add the sauce and mix well to coat all the bulgur.
- Finally add the spring onions, tomatoes, parsley, salt and black pepper to the bulgur and mix to combine all the ingredients.
Tried this recipe?Mention @mikeronm or tag #theveganplanetkitchen!