Hasselback Potatoes with an array of roasted vegetables of different sizes and textures. Roasted in Grillkrydda, a delicious Swedish-inspired spice blend.
We love Hasselback Potatoes and have recently discovered the Swedish-inspired Grillkrydda spice blend. We wanted to make a meal with them being the main components. We always find that recipes for roasted vegetables tend to use root vegetables all cut to the same size so they roast in the same amount of time. These recipes are fine for a side dish but this recipe shows with a bit more effort you can create a meal out of roasted vegetables that have a wide variety of textures to make a more interesting meal.
This recipe is also very versatile. You can use almost any vegetable coated in the Grillkrydda spice blend and get great results. We used Chantenay carrots but normal carrots cut into bite-sized chunks would be perfect. If you want to add any other root vegetables like parsnip or sweet potatoes cut them into bite-sized pieces and add them when the carrots get added.
Softer vegetables like broccoli, cauliflower and brussel sprouts are also great roasted and can be added when the courgette (zucchini) gets added.
For the perfect roasted vegetables make sure you don’t overcrowd your baking trays. If the Hasselback Potatoes and vegetables are too close together they will steam each other and not develop the roasted flavour that’s so delicious.
When coating the vegetables in the Grillkrydda spice rub make sure the spices are coated in oil as well as the vegetable. This will develop the best flavours.
It’s also a great idea to line your baking trays with parchment paper or a non-stick sheet. Vegetables tend to easily stick to baking trays when roasting them, especially older trays. However, watch out if you choose to grill (broil) at the end as parchment paper can ignite.
Hasselback Potatoes Serving suggestions
We have developed this recipe so the Hasselback Potatoes and vegetables are interesting enough to be a meal in their own right. We served them with a Vegan Mustard and Dill Sauce that’s absolutely delicious. However, these vegetables could be served in a multitude of ways. They would be great served with a salad or a whole grain. Change the sauce to your favourite hummus to pack in more protein. They would also be great with a BBQ sauce.
Hasselback Potatoes and Roast Vegetables
- 4 medium potatoes
- 300 g chestnut mushrooms
- 300 g carrots
- 4 small red onions
- 2 red bell peppers
- 1 yellow bell pepper
- 1 large courgette zucchini
- 300 g asparagus
- ½ cup olive oil
Grillkrydda Spice Blend
- ½ tablespoon sea salt flakes
- ½ tablespoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon garlic granules
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- Preheat the oven to 180°C fan/ 200°C conventional, 400°F.
- Thoroughly clean and dry all the vegetables.
- Use 2 wooden spoons on a chopping board and place one potato at a time between them. Slice the potato almost all the way through, the wooden spoons will help stop the knife. Make slices 5mm apart all the way along the potatoes.
- Rub 1 tablespoon of the olive oil into the potatoes and season with salt and pepper.
- Place the potatoes on a baking tray, sliced side facing up and place on the bottom shelf of the oven. Set a timer for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the grillkrydda spice blend by mixing all ingredients in a small bowl.
- Coat the mushrooms with oil and a small amount of the spice blend. Use a pastry brush with a little extra oil to make sure the spices are also coated in oil, otherwise, they might burn before the vegetables are cooked.
- Cut the carrots into large bite-sized pieces. Coat with oil and the spice blend the same way as the mushrooms.
- Once the timer ends, remove the potatoes, sprinkle with the spice blend and brush them with more oil, making sure to get oil and the spice blend between each slice.
- Add the mushrooms and carrots to the same tray as the potatoes and return the tray to the oven for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, remove the skin and outer layer on the red onions. Slice off the top and root then slice in half. Coat with oil and the spice blend the same way as the mushrooms.
- Slice the bell peppers and courgette (zucchini) into wedges. Again, coat with oil and the spice blend the same way as the mushrooms. The onions, peppers and courgette might have to go on a separate tray. Make sure the vegetables are spaced out as best as possible so they roast rather than steam.
- Once the timer for the vegetables goes off, add the onions, peppers and courgette. Set the timer for another 10 minutes.
- When the timer for the vegetables goes off, remove all vegetables from the oven and turn them all. Add the asparagus and coat all the vegetables with any of the remaining Grillkrydda spice blend. Return all vegetables to the oven. Set the timer for a further 10 minutes or until you see browning colour on your veg.
- Optional. For added char, remove the vegetables from the oven and preheat the grill (broiler) to high. Once hot, grill (broil) the vegetables until charred as desired.
- Serve the Hasselback Potatoes and vegetables with a generous portion of a dipping sauce of your choice.
- Medium Potatoes – 60 minutes
- Chestnut Mushrooms – 30 minutes
- Carrots – 30 minutes
- Onions – 20 minutes
- Bell Peppers – 20 minutes
- Courgette (Zucchini) – 20 minutes
- Asparagus – 10 minutes