Kachumbari, a simple Kenyan salad with fresh tomatoes, cucumber, onion and avocado with lemon juice and coriander. Perfect to serve as a side salad with a stew.
Kachumbari is a great side dish for a variety of dishes. We particularly like it with our Githeri.
Traditional Kenyan spiced bean and corn stew with mixed vegetables. Easy to make and delicious served with a side salad and chapatis.Check out this recipe
A simple Kenyan salad with fresh tomatoes, cucumber, onion and avocado with lemon juice and coriander. Perfect to serve as a side salad with a stew.
- 2 beef tomatoes
- ½ red onion diced
- ½ cucumber diced
- 1 green chilli seeds removed then diced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons chopped coriander
- 1 ripe avocado
- Juice of one lemon
- Prepare the tomatoes, onion, cucumber and green chilli by cutting them into chunks all roughly the same size. Add them to a bowl then sprinkle over the salt. Mix well to coat the vegetable in the salt. Cover the bowl and set it aside for at least 10 minutes.
- Once the vegetables have rested for 10 minutes carefully drain any excess liquid from the bowl.
- Chop the avocado into chunks the same size as the vegetables and add to the bowl together with the chopped coriander. Squeeze over the juice of 1 lemon then thoroughly stir to coat all the vegetables and avocado in the lemon juice and coriander.
Tried this recipe?Mention @mikeronm or tag #theveganplanetkitchen!