Beetroot Salad with shallots and red wine vinegar. Perfect on crackers or as a side dish.
This is a versatile side dish. We served it with our Vegan Kotlet Schabowy and Dill Potatoes and it was wonderful with the celeriac cutlets. With the leftovers, we found it was great with crackers and salad for lunch the day after.
Polish Beetroot Salad
- 4 medium beetroots*
- ½ small shallot finely diced
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat an oven to 200C/180C fan.
- Clean and remove the stems from the beetroot. Wrap each beet loosely in aluminium foil and place it on a baking tray in the centre of the oven for 1 hour, larger beets might need up to 1 hour 30 minutes. Use a fork to make sure the beets are soft all the way through. Once soft, remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
- Once the beets are cooled, peel them. They should peel easily.
- Coarsely grate the beetroot and add to a bowl. Add the rest of the ingredients, ½ finely diced small shallot, 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar, 2 teaspoons olive oil, and mix well. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Best refrigerated for at least 20 minutes before eating.