Acuka, A Turkish Red Pepper and Walnut Spread made with pepper paste, crushed walnuts, pomegranate molasses and spices. Delicious as a spread for bread or as part of a meze platter.
Red Pepper & Walnut Spread – Acuka, is a popular meze dish in many places. In Turkey it’s called Acuka however there is a version in the Levant region called Muhammara that is very similar. They both contain roasted red peppers, walnuts and breadcrumbs as the base ingredients with other spices and flavourings.
This Acuka recipe uses a Turkish red pepper paste. Our recipe for homemade pepper paste can be found here. We believe it’s worth the extra effort to make your own paste.
Red Pepper Paste (Biber salçası)
Roasted sweet red peppers turned into a thick paste ready to use in recipes or as a condiment.Check out this recipe
Red Pepper & Walnut Spread (Acuka)
Red Pepper and Walnut Spread, made with pepper paste, crushed walnuts, pomegranate molasses and spices.
- 3 tablespoons red pepper paste
- ½ cup panko breadcrumbs
- ½ cup toasted walnuts
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon Aleppo pepper flakes or other red chilli flakes
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons pomegranate molasses
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cracked black pepper
- Make sure the walnuts are toasted. If not quickly toast them by heating a frying pan over high heat. Once hot add the walnuts to the dry pan and cook until slightly toasted on all sides. Watch that smaller pieces don't burn, the walnuts should be lightly toasted.
- Put all ingredients in a small food processor and mix until the ingredients are combined but not smooth, you still want some texture. If you don't have a food processor you can use a hand blender or crush the walnuts in a mortar and pestle until they are coarsely broken into a crumb then mix everything thoroughly.
Tried this recipe?Mention @mikeronm or tag #theveganplanetkitchen!