Vegan Cheese Sauce made with beer and mustard. Delicious as a dip for pretzels or as a condiment on a burger or hot dog.
While developing our pretzel recipe we always had some of this delicious vegan cheese sauce ready to go. It’s versatile and can be used as a sauce for loads of dishes. We used it on a pretzel hot dog and on a pretzel burger and it was great. We also used it on nachos which was awesome.
The recipe can also be tweaked to your tastes. Add more or less mustard and if you don’t want to use beer just use some water instead.
Vegan Beer & Mustard Cheese Sauce
- Blender. A high powered blender is recommended.
- 1 ½ cups cashews
- ½ cup German beer
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon garlic granules
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon ground white pepper
- If you have a high power blender, put the cashews in a bowl and pour over boiling water. Let the cashews soften for 10 minutes. If you don’t have a high power blender, place the cashews in a pan over medium heat with enough water to cover the cashews. Boil for 20 minutes to soften.
- Drain the cashews and add them to a blender together with the rest of the ingredients. Blend until smooth. This creates a sauce with quite a thick texture ready to use straight away.