Vegan Coxinha, Brazilian croquettes made with a mushroom and cream cheese filling in a soft dough casing. Coated in breadcrumbs and deep-fried into the perfect crispy snack.
Serving Vegan Brazillian Croquettes
Coxinhas are a popular Brazillian snack that’s usually made with shredded chicken and cream cheese stuffed in dough then battered and fried into crispy perfection. This vegan version is even tastier.
These Vegan Coxinhas are great as a snack, dipped in your favourite hot sauce. They can be made ahead of time and reheat well in the oven.
Assembling Vegan Coxinha
Separate the dough into 12 equal balls. Flatten each ball into a disk roughly 5mm thick. Place roughly a tablespoon of the chilled filling in the centre.
Bring all sides together and pinch in the middle.
Create a teardrop shape and make sure there are no holes in the dough. This can cause the filling to explode out of the dough when deep frying.
Vegan Coxinha – Brazilian Mushroom Croquettes
- 200 g all-purpose flour sifted
- 360 ml vegan chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 140 g gram flour sifted
- 240 ml unsweetened plant-based milk
- 100 g panko breadcrumbs
- Salt and pepper
Coxinha Mushroom Filling
- 300 g chestnut mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 medium brown onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- Juice of 1 lime
- 120 g vegan cream cheese
- Salt and pepper
- In a large pot over medium heat bring the vegan chicken stock to a boil.
- When the stock is boiling slowly add in the all-purpose flour while continuously stirring until a very stiff dough is formed.
- Turn off the heat and keep stirring as much as you can for 1 minute.
- Remove the dough from the pan and allow it to cool for 30 mins. Meanwhile, the filling can be prepared.
- Clean the mushrooms then chop them into a coarse mince like texture.
- Heat the oil in a pan over medium heat. Once hot add the mushrooms and sauté until the mushrooms have released all their water and they are starting to brown. This will take around 10 minutes.
- Add the diced onions with a good pinch of salt and continue to sauté until the onion is soft and translucent, around 6 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for a further 1 minute.
- Turn off the heat and allow the filling to cool for a couple of minutes before adding the chopped parsley, lime juice and the vegan cream cheese. Mix everything together.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning. The amount of salt needed will depend on the salt levels in the vegan cream cheese. We added ¼ teaspoon of salt and a good pinch of freshly cracked black pepper.
- Transfer the mixture to a bowl and cool in a fridge.
Assembly and cooking
- Once the dough has cooled enough to touch, knead it until it’s smooth, for around 3 minutes.
- Cover then leave to stand for 10 minutes.
- Using a dusting of flour to stop the dough from sticking, separate the dough into 12 equal balls.
- Place a ball in the palm of your hand or on a board and flatten into a disk roughly 5mm thick.
- Place roughly a tablespoon of the chilled filling in the centre. Bring all sides together and pinch in the middle. Create a teardrop shape and make sure there are no holes in the dough. This can cause the filling to explode out of the dough when deep frying.
- Once they are all assembled heat enough oil to deep fry to a temperature of 180°C
- While the oil is heating up, prepare the dredging station. Mix the sifted gram flour and plant-based milk in a bowl with a pinch of salt and freshly cracked black pepper. The mixture should be similar to a thick batter. In a separate bowl add the panko bread crumbs.
- To dredge the coxinhas first cover with the gram flour batter then evenly coat in the breadcrumbs.
- Once the oil is up to temperature carefully place the coated coxinhas in a few at a time so that the temperature of the oil does not drop. Try to keep the temperature of the oil constant.
- Deep fry for a few minutes until deep golden all over. Remove from the oil and drain on clean kitchen paper.
- Once all the coxinha have been deep-fried make sure to turn off the heat.
- Serve hot with your favourite hot sauce or dip.