Urap Sayur is an Indonesian salad of cooked vegetables in a toasted coconut dressing. Perfect as a side dish.
Kering Tempeh. A vegan Indonesian dish of crispy fried tempeh in a sticky, sweet and spicy sauce.
Indonesian Coconut Rice. Jasmine rice, cooked in coconut milk and Indonesian flavours.
- 100 g green beans
- 100 g mung bean sprouts
- 100 g spinach cut into small pieces
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 banana shallot very finely diced
- 1 medium red chilli seeds removed and very finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves finely minced
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 50 g unsweetened desiccated coconut
- 40 g palm sugar grated
- Juice of 1 lime
- Prepare and wash the vegetables.
- Bring a pan of water to a boil. Add the green beans and boil them for 2 minutes. Add the bean sprouts and spinach and continue to boil for a further 1 minute.
- Drain the vegetables and set them aside.
- Heat a clean pan over medium heat, add the oil, shallot and red chilli. Season with a pinch of salt. Sauté until the shallot starts to brown, around 3 minutes.
- Add the garlic and ginger and continue to cook for 30 seconds.
- Next, add the desiccated coconut. Mix everything well and continue to cook until the coconut is lightly golden brown, around 3 minutes.
- Add the palm sugar and lime juice and thoroughly mix. Continue to cook until everything is well incorporated, around 2 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat.
- Add the vegetables to the pan and mix to coat them with the coconut mixture then serve.