African-Style Yellow Rice, an easy recipe to make a rice side dish more flavourful and vibrant. White basmati rice, flavoured with onions, smoked paprika and turmeric.
Serving African Style Rice
Pair this fragrant rice side dish with our mouthwatering Vegan Peri-Peri Tofu recipe for a delicious vegan Nandos-inspired meal that will leave your taste buds dancing with joy. The tofu, marinated in a zesty peri-peri sauce, creates a perfect harmony with the subtle flavours of the rice.
Vegan African Style Rice
- 2 cups rice
- 3 cups vegan stock vegan chicken or vegetable
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium brown onion diced
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- 70 g frozen green peas
- 10 g chopped fresh parsley
- 1 small lemon juice
- Start by washing the rice until the water runs clear, then let it soak in a bowl while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
- In a separate pan or using a kettle, heat the vegan stock. If your stock has no salt or low salt add ½ teaspoon of salt to the stock mix. Set it aside, ready to use.
- Heat the oil over medium heat in a large heavy-bottomed pan with a tight-fitting lid. We used a Dutch oven.
- Once the oil is hot, add the sliced onion with a pinch of salt and sauté until the onion is soft and translucent, around 6 minutes.
- Add the diced bell pepper and continue to sauté for a further 2 minutes.
- Add smoked paprika and turmeric to the pan. Sauté for 30 seconds to awaken the spices.
- Drain the soaked rice and add it to the pan along with the frozen peas. Gently mix to incorporate the spices into the rice. Pour over the hot stock, cover the pan, and bring it to a boil. Cook for 8 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to the lowest setting on your cooker and let the rice steam until all the liquid has been absorbed. Check the bottom of the pot with a spoon. This will take approximately 4 to 8 minutes. Once the liquid has been absorbed, turn off the heat. Let the rice continue to steam, covered, for an additional 10 minutes.
- Mix in the chopped parsley and squeeze the juice from the small lemon. Fluff up the rice with a fork, allowing the flavours to blend.
- Serve your African Style Yellow Rice with our Vegan Peri-Peri Tofu or any other boldly flavoured dish for a truly satisfying meal.