Vegan Fiskesuppe, a vegan take on creamy Norwegian fish and root vegetable soup. Made with hearts of palm and tofu with celeriac, potatoes and carrots.
Serving Vegan Fiskesuppe
Vegan Fiskesuppe is a delicious creamy soup made with hearts of palm and root vegetables. We have added some firm tofu to add some protein to make the Fiskesuppe more substantial. It makes for a great lunch or a light dinner. Just serve it with some of your favourite freshly baked bread or with a tasty sandwich.
- Norwegian Fiskesuppe is a simple dish to turn vegan and can be adapted to your tastes. We love hearts of palm as an alternative to fish and the tofu adds some protein. You could use butter beans instead of the tofu if you prefer or even something like oyster mushrooms.
- Make sure you don’t cook the onions and carrots too much. You just want them to be soft but not golden as this could make the soup too sweet.
- Make sure you use unsweetened plant-based milk in your vegan Fiskesuppe. Milk with added sugar would ruin the soup.
- The vegan Worcestershire sauce is used to give the soup an umami hit that would usually come from the fish. If you want a more fishy taste consider adding vegan fish sauce or seaweed flakes. Just watch out for salt levels as these both contain a high level of salt.
A vegan take on a creamy Norwegian fish and root vegetable soup. Made with hearts of palm and tofu with celeriac, potatoes and carrots.
- 2 tablespoons rapeseed oil
- 30 g vegan butter
- 1 medium white onion diced
- 2 medium carrots diced
- 1 green bell pepper diced
- 3 clove garlic minced
- 400 g celeriac cut into small cubes
- 300 g potatoes cut into small cubes
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 500 ml vegetable stock
- 500 ml unsweetened plant-based milk
- 400 g tin hearts of palm sliced into disks
- 250 g medium firm tofu cut into cubes
- 250 ml vegan cooking cream
- 1 tablespoon vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- Heat the oil and butter in a large pan over medium heat. Once hot add the diced onions and carrots with a pinch of salt. Sauté until the onions are soft, around 4 minutes.
- Add the diced bell pepper and the minced garlic and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Now add the cubes of celeriac and potatoes. Stir to combine everything. Cook for 4 minutes then sprinkle in the flour. Stir to coat everything in the flour and continue to cook for 2 minutes, stirring continuously.
- Pour in the vegetable stock and the plant-based milk.
- Bring to a gentle simmer, turning the heat down when needed. Don’t let it boil too much as it might cause the milk to split.
- Cover and continue to simmer for 10 minutes then add the plant-based cream, hearts of palm, tofu and vegan Worcestershire sauce. Stir everything together and continue to simmer until the potatoes and celeriac are fully fork tender, around 10 minutes.
- Add the vinegar and the chopped parsley.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning. The amount needed will depend on the salt in the stock. We had to add ½ teaspoon of salt and a good pinch of freshly cracked black pepper.
- Serve your Vegan Fiskesuppe hot and garnish with more parsley and vegan cream if desired.
Tried this recipe?Mention @mikeronm or tag #theveganplanetkitchen!