Vegan Vermicelli Rice, a classic Lebanese side dish made with rice and toasted vermicelli pasta to add a wonderful nutty flavour to the dish.
Serving Vegan Vermicelli Rice
This easy to make rice dish is great served with a large variety of Middle Eastern stews and other dishes. We have a recipe for a Vegan Lebanese Meatball Stew (Dawood Basha). A classic Lebanese meatball stew with a spiced tomato-based sauce. A hearty meal that’s full of flavour.
- 2 cups basmati rice
- 1 cup vermicelli pasta not rice vermicelli
- 15 g plant-based butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 cups boiling water
- 1 tsp salt
- Thoroughly wash the basmati rice until the water runs clear. Place the rice in a bowl of water and allow it to soak while you toast the vermicelli pasta.
- If you have vermicelli nests break them up into small pieces roughly 1cm long. If you already have broken vermicelli they don't need to broken further.
- Heat the plant-based butter and the olive oil in a large heavy-based pot with a lid over medium heat. Once hot add the broken vermicelli pasta and cook until toasted and golden brown all over. Stirring continuously at this stage is advised as the vermicelli can burn quickly.
- Once the vermicelli is toasted evenly, quickly add the boiling water to the pan then drain the soaking basmati rice and also add it to the pan. Add the salt then give everything a quick stir and bring to a boil. Boil for 8 minutes then put the lid on the pan and reduce the heat to the lowest setting on the hob. Consider moving the pan to the smallest ring.
- Let the rice steam for 10 minutes then check it's fully cooked. If so, turn off the heat and serve. Let the rice steam for longer if needed.