St Lucia style Rice and Bean, a spicy rice side dish cooked in coconut milk with kidney beans. Perfect to serve as a side dish for a Caribbean feast.
Serving Caribbean Rice and Beans
Rice and Beans is a tasty Caribbean side dish bursting with amazing flavours. Not only does this dish taste amazing, but the grain and beans also provide good nutritional value. Perfect as a side dish for many different Caribbean dishes. We have recipes for a few from Jamaican Jerk Tofu to St. Lucian Style Tempeh Skewers.
St Lucian Style Rice and Beans
- 2 cups basmati rice
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 bell pepper diced
- 1 Scotch bonnet finely diced
- 1 small red onion finely diced
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 1 tablespoon Creole spice
- 400 ml coconut milk
- 300 ml water
- 1 tin cooked kidney beans drained and rinsed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 5 g fresh parsley chopped
- Wash the rice until the water runs clear then cover with water and soak while preparing the rest of the ingredients.
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Once hot add the diced bell pepper, scotch bonnet and red onion. Sauté until the onion is soft and translucent, around 4 minutes.
- Add the sprigs of thyme and the creole spice. Cook out the spices for 30 seconds then add the coconut milk, 300ml water, kidney beans and salt. Bring to a boil.
- When the broth is boiling, drain the soaking rice and add it to the pot. Cover the pot and continue to boil for 8 minutes.
- Turn down the heat to the lowest setting on your cooker and continue to let the rice steam until all the liquid has been absorbed. Use a spoon to check the bottom of the pot.
- Once all the liquid has been absorbed turn off the heat. Let the rice continue to steam covered for a further 10 minutes.
- Mix in the chopped parsley then fluff up with a fork and serve with your favourite Caribbean meal.