Spicy Tomato Chutney, easy to make Indian inspired spiced tomato chutney. Perfect with samosas, poppadoms or your favourite naan bread.
Spiced Tomato Chutney
Easy to make Indian inspired spiced tomato chutney. Perfect with samosas, poppadoms or your favourite naan bread.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- ½ teaspoon black mustard seeds
- ½ teaspoon urad dal optional
- Pinch asafoetida (hing)
- 1 large shallot diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 20 g ginger minced
- 1 small spicy green chilli minced
- 1 teaspoon jaggery or brown sugar
- 400 g tin chopped tomatoes
- 100 ml water
- Salt and black pepper
- Heat the oil in a pan over medium heat. Once hot add the black mustard seeds, urad dal, and pinch of asafoetida, cook for 30 seconds until the seeds begin to pop.
- Add the onion and sauté until soft and translucent, around 6 minutes.
- Now add the minced garlic, ginger and chilli. Continue to sauté for 1 minute.
- Add the jaggery or brown sugar and melt into the onions and spices for around 30 seconds.
- Add the tin of chopped tomatoes with around 100ml of water. Bring to a boil, turn the heat down to a gentle simmer and cook partially covered until the chutney is thick and the tomatoes are breaking apart. This will take around 15 – 20 minutes.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning. We added ½ of salt and a good pinch of black pepper.