A vegan version of a German Farmer’s Breakfast. Tofu scramble and tempeh bacon with potatoes, onions and peppers. A hearty breakfast that’s a tasty and filling way to start the day.
Vegan Farmer’s Breakfast (Bauernfrühstück)
A vegan version of a German farmer’s breakfast. Tofu scramble and tempeh bacon with potatoes, onions and peppers.
- 300 g baby potatoes
- 1 ½ tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 2 sprigs of parsley chopped
- 200 g extra firm tofu
- ½ tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Pinch of kala namak optional
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened plant milk
Tempeh Bacon *
- 200 g tempeh
- 2 tablespoons tamari or soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon agave syrup
- 1 teaspoons smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- In a bowl thoroughly mix the ingredients for the marinade. The tamari, olive oil, agave syrup, smoked paprika and garlic powder.
- Cut the tempeh into small flat pieces and place in the marinade for at least 10 minutes making sure all the tempeh is covered.
- Heat a frying pan over medium heat with a small amount of oil. Once hot add the tempeh and fry until golden on each side. Around 3 minutes on each side.
- Press the block of tofu for at least 10 minutes to remove excess water.
- Crumble the pressed tofu into scrambled egg-sized pieces.
- Heat a pan over medium-high heat. Add ½ tablespoon olive oil. Once hot add the crumbled tofu and cook until some of the edges of the tofu are starting to turn a golden colour. Around 5 minutes.
- Add the 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast, ¼ teaspoon turmeric, ½ teaspoon salt and an optional pinch of kala namak. Mix everything well to coat the tofu and then turn off the heat. Finally, mix in the 1 tablespoon plant-based milk.
- Set the tofu aside in a bowl.
- Scrub the potatoes and slice them into 1 cm thick disks.
- In a clean pot heat 1 ½ tablespoons olive oil over medium-high heat. Once hot add the potatoes. Fry them until fork tender and golden brown. Make sure to frequently stir the potatoes as they can stick to the bottom of the pan. This will take around 15 minutes.
- Once the potatoes are cooked add the onions, peppers, salt and pepper. Continue to cook until the onions and peppers are cooked and the onions are starting to turn translucent. Around 4 minutes.
- Add the tofu scramble and tempeh bacon and stir to incorporate everything. Turn off the heat then finally stir in the chopped parsley.
If you want to save some time you can use vegan bacon in place of the tempeh.