Batata Harra, Lebanese potatoes in a spicy garlic and lemon coating. Great as a side dish or as part of a Lebanese mezze.
Serving Quick Pickled Turnip
Batata Harra is a perfect side dish as part of a Lebanese mezze feast. We have recipes for Lebanese Flatbreads and Pickled Turnip that also go great with a mezze. Just add your favourite falafels, hummus and some fresh vegetables and salad.
Lebanese Quick Pickled Turnips
Lebanese inspired crunchy pickled turnips. Flavoured with garlic and chillies and coloured with beetroot. Delicious on sandwiches and as a side dish for a mezze feast.Check out this recipe
Manakish (Lebanese Flatbreads)
Lebanese flatbreads made with a soft dough with a za’atar or onions topping.Check out this recipe
Batata Harra (Spicy Potatoes)
Lebanese potatoes in a spicy garlic and lemon coating. Great as a side dish or as part of a Lebanese mezze.
- 850 g white potatoes
- 1 red bell pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon sweet paprika
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprkia
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- Juice of ½ a lemon
- ½ teaspoon Aleppo pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander
- Black pepper
- Preheat an oven to 180°C.
- Peel and wash the potatoes and cut them into evenly sized small bite-sized pieces. Also, cut the red bell pepper into bite-size pieces.
- Place the potatoes and the bell pepper on a baking tray and pour over 2 tablespoons of the oil and season well with salt and pepper. Sprinkle over the sweet paprika and the smoked paprika. Using your hands or a spoon, toss the potatoes and pepper in the oil and spices to evenly coat them all over.
- Place them in the preheated oven for 30 minutes, turning halfway. The potatoes should be golden all over and the pepper should be fully soft and the skin should be blackened in places.
- 5 minutes before the potatoes are ready, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil in a pan over medium heat. Once hot add the minced garlic and gentle sauté for 1 minute watching not to burn the garlic. Turn off the heat and add the lemon juice, Aleppo pepper flakes and half the chopped coriander. Mix everything together.
- Once the potatoes are ready place them in the pan with the garlic and stir well to coat in the garlic and pepper flakes.
- Taste for seasoning then serve, garnished with the remaining coriander.
Tried this recipe?Mention @mikeronm or tag #theveganplanetkitchen!