Crispy spicy tofu in a sweet and spicy Korean tomato sauce. Spiced with gochujang, a Korean red chilli paste. Perfect as a light meal served with rice or as a banchan (side dish) as part of a larger feast.
Vegan Spicy Korean Tofu
Crispy tofu in a spicy tomato sauce.
- 1 block extra-firm tofu
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon cornflour (cornstarch)
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 2 spring onions finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 4 tablespoons tomato ketchup
- 2 tablespoon gochujang
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons agave syrup
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- Press the tofu to remove some of the liquid. For around 10 minutes. Preheat an oven to 200°C / 180°C Fan.
- Line a baking tray with baking parchment. Once the tofu has been pressed, drain the liquid and cut it into 2cm cubes. In a bowl firstly coat the tofu cubes with the 1 tablespoon vegetable oil and 1 tablespoon soy sauce then coat with the 1 tablespoon cornflour.
- Spread the tofu on the baking tray and bake in the oven for 30 minutes, turning halfway.
- Meanwhile, when there are around 5 minutes left on the tofu. Heat a pan over medium heat. Add the 2 teaspoons vegetable oil, once hot add the white parts of the spring onion, with the garlic and ginger. Reserve the green parts for garnish. Cook for about 1 minute.
- Add the remaining sauce ingredients, 4 tablespoons tomato ketchup, 2 tablespoons gochujang, 2 teaspoons soy sauce, 2 teaspoons agave syrup, 1 teaspoon rice vinegar, 1 teaspoon sesame oil. Cook for 1 minute until heated through. Remove the pan from the heat and wait for the tofu to be ready.
- Once the tofu is ready, remove from the oven and add to the pan with the sauce. If the sauce has cooled down a bit you can return the pan to the heat to warm through.
- Place in serving dish and garnish with the green parts of the spring onion.
Tried this recipe?Mention @mikeronm or tag #theveganplanetkitchen!
See the main Vegan Banchan post for more vegan banchan ideas.