St. Lucian Tempeh Skewers, tempeh, onions and bell peppers tossed in a flavoursome creole spice mix. These Caribbean kebabs are perfect grilled on a BBQ or broiled in an oven.
As with most Caribbean countries, BBQ culture is big in St Lucia. BBQ street food is popular at the weekend as the islanders relax late into the night. Caribbean-inspired kebabs and Jerk Chicken are popular. Other carts and trucks serve up salads and ground provisions like rice, beans or a popular St. Lucian side dish Green fig salad.
Our tempeh kebabs have a wonderful texture and really absorb the flavours of the spice mix. They are simple to make and cook and go perfectly with the onions and bell peppers. Grilling these on a BBQ really gives them an authentic summer street food vibe. However, these skewers work just as well under a grill (broiler).
Serving St Lucian Style Tempeh Skewers – Caribbean Kebabs
These vegan Caribbean kebabs are perfect as part of a tasty vegan summer BBQ. They also work perfectly cooked under a grill (broiler) in the oven. Serve alongside some St Lucian Rice and Beans and a fresh Green Mango Salsa.
Creole Spice Mix
The recipe for the Creole spice mix used to flavour the Caribbean kebabs makes double the amount needed. The remaining mixture can be used to flavour a variety of other dishes. We have a recipe for St. Lucian Style Rice and Beans that uses some Creole spice for flavouring. It can also be used to season roasted vegetables or even sprinkled over French fries.
To make the Creole spice mix you can simply mix the ingredients and then store in an airtight container. If it’s going to be used to sprinkle on French fries or used to season something else where the spice mix is not cooked it would be better to grind the mix in a spice grinder.
St. Lucian Style Tempeh Skewers
- 6 Skewers , metal or wooden
- 250 g tempeh
- 2 medium brown onions
- 2 bell peppers
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
Creole Spice Mix
- 1 tablespoon sweet paprika
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon dried rosemary
- 2 teaspoons chilli powder
- ½ teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Get your skewers ready. If you are using wooden skewers, soak them in water for 30 minutes before cooking. This will help stop them burning on the BBQ or in the oven.
- Preheat a BBQ or preheat a grill (broiler) to medium heat.
- Cut the tempeh into cubes that will fit on a skewer. Cut the onions into wedges and separate the layers. Cut the bell peppers into pieces about the size of the tempeh cubes.
- Place the cut tempeh, onions and bell peppers in a large bowl.
- Note: The ingredients for the spice mix makes double the amount needed for the skewers.
- Mix all the ingredients for the spice mix in a small container.
- Sprinkle 2 to 3 tablespoons of the spice mix in the bowl with the tempeh. Pour over the vegetable oil then toss to coat everything evenly in the spice mix.
- Thread the tempeh, onions and bell peppers onto the skewers until you have used them all.
- Place the skewers on the preheated BBQ or under the grill (broiler). Cook on all sides until sizzling and lightly charred all over.