St Lucian Spicy Mango Salad, a delicious spicy and tangy mango and cucumber salsa that’s great as a side dish to freshen up Caribbean feasts.
When making savoury salads or salsas using mango it is best to use unripened green mangoes. If unripened mangos are not available buy one that’s as fully green as possible. Unripened they have a firmer and less sweet flavour that works perfectly in salads and salsas.
Serving Green Mango Salad
A refreshing salad made using fresh mango, perfect served alongside your favourite Caribbean dish. Mango and chilli work perfectly together to make a perfectly sweet and spicy salsa that adds freshness to dishes. We have recipes for a few Caribbean dishes, from Jamaican Jerk Tofu to the St Lucian Style Tempeh Skewers pictured above.
St Lucian Spicy Mango Salad
- 1 green mango
- ½ English cucumber
- 1 red chilli
- 1 clove of garlic puréed
- Juice of one lime
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- Peel the green mango then roughly chop the mango and cucumber into small pieces and finely dice the red chilli.
- Purée the garlic clove. Make sure it’s well puréed to make sure the garlic flavour is evenly distributed.
- Add all the ingredients to a bowl and mix well to incorporate everything evenly. Cover the bowl and place it in the fridge for at least 10 minutes.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning. We added more lime juice as our limes were small.
- Serve your Spicy Mango Salad with your favourite Caribbean meal.