Vegan Baja Tacos, vegan fish tacos made with deep-fried portobello mushrooms in a crispy batter. Delicious with white cabbage, pickled onions and chipotle mayo.
Serving Vegan Baja Tacos
These vegan fish tacos are perfect on their own as a lighter meal or we like serving them with a side salad such as our fresh, simple to make Corn Salsa.
A quick and easy to make side-salad to have with a variety of Mexican dishes. Perfect with tacos or part of a Mexican inspired nourish bowl.Check out this recipe
Vegan Baja Tacos
Vegan fish tacos made with deep-fried portobello mushrooms in a crispy batter. These are delicious with white cabbage, pickled onions and chipotle mayo.
- Large pan for deep frying
- 500 g portobello mushrooms
- ½ tablespoon seaweed flakes optional
- 200 g plain flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 275 ml ice-cold beer
- Oil for deep frying
- 12 to 16 fresh corn tortilla
- White cabbage thinly sliced
- Pickled red onion
- Coriander chopped
- Cherry tomatoes quartered
- Vegan chipotle mayo
- Lime wedges
- In a large deep pan heat 4cm of oil to a temperature of 180°C.
- Clean then cut the mushrooms into bite-sized pieces. Put the pieces into a bowl then sprinkle over the seaweed flakes to evenly coat the mushrooms.
- Make the batter in a separate bowl. Add the flour, salt, paprika and baking powder. Mix well to evenly combine the dry ingredients. Slowly add the ice-cold beer and stir well to make a batter.
- Once the oil is up to temperature start coating the mushrooms in the batter. Place the coated mushrooms gently into the oil and fry on both sides until golden, around 1 minute on each side. Don’t overcrowd the oil as this will make the oil temperature drop. Cook the battered mushrooms in batches and drain them on kitchen paper.
- Once all the mushrooms are cooked make sure to remove the oil from the heat.
- To construct the tacos, fill the tortillas with the battered mushrooms then cover with the sliced white cabbage, pickled red onions, cherry tomatoes and coriander before drizzling over the chipotle mayo. Squeeze the lime wedges over the tacos before eating.
Tried this recipe?Mention @mikeronm or tag #theveganplanetkitchen!