Vegan Meatballs in Chipotle Sauce, quick and easy to make vegan meatballs in a smoky and spicy chipotle sauce. Delicious served with Mexican red rice.
Vegan Meatballs in Chipotle Sauce (Albóndigas al Chipotle)
Quick and easy vegan meatballs in a smoky and spicy chipotle sauce. Delicious served with Mexican red rice.
- 12 store bought plant-based meatballs
- 400 g tin of chopped tomatoes
- 1 white onion
- 4 cloves of garlic peeled
- 1 or 2 chipotles in adobo depending on heat level
- ½ teaspoon Mexican oregano
- Pinch of ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon cracked black pepper
- ½ tablespoon vegetable oil
- Half the white onion. Cut one half into chunks to be blended and dice the other half to be sauteed.
- Heat ½ tablespoon of vegetable oil in a pan over medium heat. Once hot add the diced onion to the pan. Cook until the onion is soft and translucent, around 5 minutes.
- While the onion is cooking, place the tin of chopped tomatoes, the other half of the white onion cut into chunks, peeled garlic cloves, chipotles, Mexican oregano, black pepper and salt in a blender, blend until smooth.
- Pour the blended mixture into the pot with the onions and bring it to a simmer. Cook until the mixture has turned deep red and thickened slightly. This will take around 15 minutes.
- While the sauce is cooking, cook the plant-based meatballs according to the packet's instructions.
- If the sauce is ready before the meatballs, turn down the heat to low and continue to cook.
- Once the meatballs are ready, add them to the sauce and mix well to coat. Taste the sauce to check the seasoning then serve with Mexican red rice or your favourite side.