Lomo Saltado is a popular Peruvian stir-fry that fuses together traditional Peruvian cooking with Chinese influences. Portobello mushrooms are used to create a delicious vegan version of this dish. Quick and easy to make.
Ingredients of note
As with the other Peruvian dishes, Vegan Causa and Arroz Chaufa, Aji Amarillo paste is used to spice up Lomo Saltado. A chilli paste made from yellow aji peppers. If you don’t have access to this ingredient then your favourite hot sauce would do the trick, or if you don’t like the spice then just leave the chilli paste/sauce out.
If you don’t want the alcohol in the dish then the 2 tablespoons of Red Wine can be replaced with 1 more tablespoon of red wine vinegar.
Serving Vegan Peruvian Lomo Saltado
In Peru, Lomo Saltado is traditionally served with rice and french fries. A double load of carbs may seem out there, but it makes for a hearty and delicious dish. For a healthier meal, you can however leave out the french fries.
This super tasty stir-fry also makes a delicious sandwich filling, a popular street food in Peru. Lomo Saltado Pizza is also a favourite. So if you have any leftover filling you could mix it up.
Consider making too much rice and keep the leftovers in the fridge. This would be perfect for Arroz Chaufa the following day.
Vegan Peruvian Lomo Saltado
- 250 – 300 grams portobello mushrooms sliced into 2cm strips
- 1 large red onion sliced into thick wedges
- 1 red or yellow bell pepper sliced into thick strips
- 2 large or 4 medium tomatoes sliced into eighths
- 2 cloves of garlic finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoon red wine
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoon tamari or soy sauce
- 2 teaspoon aji amarillo paste
- Cooked rice and french fries
- Fresh coriander for garnish.
- Prepare all the ingredients as described. Mix the ingredients for the sauce in a small bowl ready to use.
- Heat a large pan or wok over high heat. Once smoking hot add the oil then coat the pan.
- Add the mushrooms and quickly stir them around in the oil to coat. The mushrooms will absorb all the oil, this is fine. Don't add salt at this stage as this could draw out the moisture from the mushrooms before they develop colour.
- Stir the mushrooms continuously until they become golden around the edges, around 3 minutes.
- Add the onions and pepper to the pan and continue to cook for 1 minute.
- Add the garlic and smoked paprika and stir for 30 seconds.
- Now add the sauce mixture. Continue to stir-fried until most of the liquid has cooked off, around 3 minutes.
- Finally add the tomatoes, oregano and a good amount of freshly cracked black pepper. Stir for a further minute, check for seasoning then remove from the heat.
- Serve your Vegan Lomo Saltado with a portion of rice and french fries and garnish with freshly chopped coriander.